volvojoe

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 XC90
2016 XC90, T6, AWD - Continental tires 235/55-19 tires installed with H speed rating and 101 load rating. Sunday, I went to Costco to price tires and found what I wanted - Michelin Defender LTX, same size and speed rating/load rating as my current tires. I asked for a price and the Costco tire person asked for the car information and his computer gave him the car information - the speed rating on his computer says my car requires a V speed rating (149MPH) and the Michelin Defender LTX does not come in a V rating, highest is H (139MPH). Because the Costco computer says I need a V rating, Costco can't sell me the H rating. Has anyone else come across this problem? I searched the 2016 owner's manual on the Volvo Support website, I searched my paper copy of the manual, Tire Specifications and cannot find any published requirement of any certain tire Speed Rating. The car driver's side B Pillar placards also DO NOT specify a required speed rating either. I discussed this issue with a local Volvo dealer employee who is going to ask "someone" at the dealership about this. My question to the person is: If Volvo has a requirement for a specific Speed Rated Tire, why isn't that in the car manual that was published by Volvo and provided to me at the time of the sale? Also, if Volvo does indeed specify a particular V speed designation, how did the car get off the lot - yes, I bought the car new and did drive it off the lot and I can attest in a court of law the tires are the same make and specification as the original tires. Two of the tires currently on the car are the original "showroom" tires and two are replacements due to sidewall punctures by screws/nails picked up in my neighborhood during housing construction over the past six years.
I am looking for folks that might have experienced this issue when replacing tires on the 2016, XC90, T6. And you may ask, "just on the 2016, or any car?" I did find on the Volvo support website, starting with the 2017 XC90, there is a chart in the Tires and Wheels specification section a table that does indeed provide the V speed rating requirement. So that must be the source for Costco to say what it did - but then why doesn't the 2016 manual say that also??? Thanks for any responses.

Cattack

Reactions
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Had this issue with Costco over the weekend (as well as not showing me scheduled, only having 3 instead of 4). We have a 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 with 21" tires. Learning anything that fits must be ordered and when ordered may not be rated for the XC90. What tires did you eventually buy? Ours has Michelin Premier LTX from Costco hat are shot and need a replaced. These were not the appropriate speed rating but were installed by Costco in 2019.