City
Issaquah
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 XC90 T8 Inscription PHEV
I know conventional wisdom says take your car to the dealer for them to program new keys. I just wanted to throw it out there that it is indeed possible to add keys yourself. It is definitely NOT for the faint of heart, but it is fairly straightforward. The method I followed involved removing a circuit board (the CEM) from behind the steering wheel to read EEPROM data via JTAG. Total cost out of pocket for programming 3 new key fobs: $500. It took about 2 hours due to the learning curve but went off without a hitch.

General process guides:
- Youtube: CEM Removal guide
- Youtube: Yanhua ACDP Module 20 New Volvo add key and All keys lost

Sketchy programming hardware from China that worked flawlessly:
- Yanhua Mini ACDP Programming Master Basic Module Device
- Yanhua ACDP Set 20 New VOLVO IMMO Module

New Keys:
- Volvo Genuine Smart Remote Key Set (3x)

If anyone goes down this road in the future, a couple of tips:
- Bolts are all M8, screws are all T25.
- Removing the storage bin: there's two screws up top, and two clips below. Remove the screws and then pull the bin straight out towards you.
- The middle cable assemblies (black, green, brown) are removed by rotating the retaining latch.
- The bottom green assembly is removed by pulling the black retaining latch towards you.
- The top-middle green assembly is removed by pressing a tab on the upper side of the housing.
- I was about 50% successful in non-destructively undoing the cable retaining clips/ties/mounting posts.

Good luck.

Reactions
City
modinagar
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
My friend had the same issue with his Ford Mondeo. It’s “smart” enough to know when the fob is in the car. Locking it with the blade, whilst the fob is still inside, simply results in the locks cycling back to unlock.
His solution? Wrap the fob in foil, and put it in the centre console storage bin. The car no longer got a signal from the key, and locking it with the blade kept it locked.
I have recommended this to many of my friends who love to surf, and are getting into more modern cars that have similar systems. The more “elegant” solution is to put the fob in a small “RF shielded” card case you can buy to protect your credit cards when travelling, rather than the foil. And order a regular key from eBay for a similar model (many earlier versions of the car ran the same locks/keys, but without an active key fob) and have the emergency blade profile cut into the new key. This key with a proper head on it will open the door lock more easily than holding the little blade, and is easier to keep safe in your wetsuit pocket.
Hydrogen Executor

Last edited: