Welcome to the #1 Volvo XC60 Forum and Volvo XC60 community dedicated to Volvo XC60 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Volvo XC60 Forum today!

2017 XC60 T5 2wd intermittent starting

TimF

Reactions
City
Bartlett
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC60
Hi, my XC60 will very occasionally not start. It has 67k. This typically happens during the stop start cycle, engine stops when braked, but doesn't turn back on. Turn it off and then try to start and it just slow clicks (doesn't turn over). So far it has ultimately started back up after pushing the start button multiple times and after my blood pressure is sufficiently elevated. Both batteries are new. I've checked the wiring and its checks out fine. Cleaned all the connections. Anyone run across this before? I haven't checked the fuzes and relay in the cold zone fuze box yet as I haven't figured how to open the cover to get access. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

TimF

Reactions
City
Bartlett
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC60
Well after a local shop and a dealer couldn't figure it out. I pulled the starter and sent it to a rebuild shop. The tech there said the only issue was a loose nut on the post attaching the cable directly to the starter from the solenoid. Seems the new starters being made don't include a lock washer so the nut then gets loose and causes arcing. Moral of the story, if you're having intermittent starting issues check to see that all three nuts on the solenoid are tight and add a lock washer if needed.